Sunday, June 18, 2006

football mania
In a country where I have seen little overt affection or excitement overall, I was woken up at 5AM this morning to shouts and screams throughout my apartment complex because of the WORLD CUP. The game between KOR and FRA is over now - it looks from online to have been a 1-1 draw, so I will have to gauge from my students later today what the game was like....
Here is a student at ERC named Chris. He is not one of my students, but of the teacher who uses my class during first block. For some reason he has taken a shine to me and almost always goes out of his way to say hello and goodbye to me. I must confess I had the hardest time knowing if he was a boy or girl the first week I saw him, but from what other teachers have told me, he wants to go into fashion. lol. Here's a sampling of Korean football pride for you.

And here's Alex, from my intermediate class. Born in FL and raised in TX for seven years, I always had the feel that he has been lost here in Korea the past two years. He is a sweet boy, and his sister Euna is absolutely precious. In any case, sadly for me but happily for them, they are returning to the States and, I hear, even to their old school. I'll miss him!
Through him (his mother, rather) I have received 2 other students- Korean friends also from the States. Jun and Christina are really great kids, and I am trying to blend them in with the korean-Koreans I have in the class.
On Germany and its national flag: A great encouragement to read-

1 comment:

Lisa said...

sounds crazy over there!