Sunday, June 11, 2006

I wanted to call attention to the fact that I am using correct punctuation in this blog entry. This is big news. Enjoy it, because I cannot promise it will happen frequently in the future. I am 'Miss Ruth' so often here, that I believe my blog has been my one outlet to break every rule I teach my students.

I had a wonderful revelation this week. [drumroll, please] Allow me to share it with you while I bat fruit flies that have appeared in my apartment, telling me it was time to take my food trash bag out. (Did you know they have separate bags for food and other trash? Yeah, well they do.) Anyway, back to my revelation.


I am finally comfortable here in Korea.

Those who have followed me during my time in Korea will know that things have not always been easy for me to adjust living and working here alone. But I finally feel the exhilaration of - in a sense - a battle fought and won. How delicious it is!

Ajjumas who push me on the streets... Korean fashion... Konglish mistakes... Korean education ridiculousness (i.e. Korean mothers and hogwan shopping)... Dokdo Protectiveness... Kimchi obssession... 2002 World Cup ridiculousness... The technology craze...

The very EXTREME-ness of Korean culture is no longer overpowering for me. I do believe I am taking it into stride now. It is actually becoming quite normal.
Yikes.
It rained a lot this weekend, though monsoon season is not supposed to begin for another two weeks. Yesterday Eugene Sansangnim, Joe, and I took 3 of my kids to Everland - the Korean equivalent of Kings Dominion. We had a thunderstorm, but I think everyone still enjoyed themselves.
Now enough procrastinating. I have some study questions to write. Please pray for renewed creativity with my students. It's hard not to feel like things have gotten a little old, or that I'm not teaching them anything new (because the progress doesn't seem as apparent).

Epigram
It's all I have to bring to-day,

This, and my heart beside,
This, and my heart, and all the fields,
And all the meadows wide.
Be sure you count, should I forget,—
5
Some one the sun could tell,—
This, and my heart, and all the bees
Which in the clover dwell.
-emily dickinson

No comments: