Thursday, June 28, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Since discovering that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, I have attempted to make gradual adjustments to my diet and lifestyle. One goal of mine is to move more and more to natural home products. Or at least home-made ones that can cut costs and don't require a midnight run to the grocery store.

About a month ago I happened upon a friend's blog post about homemade laundry detergent, and I decided to print out her recipe. Jody bought the ingredients, and we made our first batch.

The verdict: It works!

If you are interested in trying it yourself, here's Kelly's blog posting: @ kellycain.com : Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent!

Observations, a month in:
  1. The ingredients are right next to each other on the cleaning aisle in Walmart. Easy to find. Maybe $7.50 for all three.
  2. Easy to make. Very easy.
  3. The detergent does separate, so it takes a good stir before using.
  4. The consistency depends on room/outside temperature. As it's gotten warmer outside, I've noticed the consistency of the detergent thins and pours more easily.
  5. It seems to get the job done. No fragrance or perfume to irritate skin, but it gets the dirt out of our clothes, linens, etc. I'm a happy woman!
My next goals: homemade soap and deodorant.

1 comment:

beautiful feet said...

glad that you've enjoyed it! we started doing the same thing a few months ago and love it! i'd be interested in the home-made deodorant!! love you!