Friday, June 01, 2012

A goal

Now that Jody has finished seminary, we are loving the freedom and flexibility that one less commitment brings to our schedule. For Jo, it means that he's not always reading, writing and stressing about the next deadline. And for me, it means that Jo is mentally, emotionally and physically more available to help me. Ha! It's a beautiful thing. 

But there was a bit of a tragedy to being out of seminary, as well. We lost our discount to the gym at Arapahoe Community College just down the street from Denver Seminary. As a seminary student (and family), there is a significant discount available; without it we would not have been able to afford a gym membership really anywhere in the area. I am so thankful we had the ACC discount and I was able to stay sane - especially during the cold winter months when the sun goes behind the mountains at 4:30, as I'm driving home and have had no time to burn off some calories (and stress). 

So a few months post-seminary went by, and I decided I was going crazy without gym access. I began to hunt, and lo and behold, I found Ballys. We had actually visited it when we were originally looking for a gym, and I think it was about $30/month per person at the time. Standard pricing, perhaps, but more than we could handle on a seminary budget. Well, this go-round I found the pricing to be awesome: $17.99 for one person and $12.99 for any 'add-on'. For Jo and me it would come to $31/month. Woop! We signed up immediately. And I'm loving it. It's 5 minutes away from home; the hours are totally flexible; and there's always a machine available. 

I am so thankful. My goal is to get back in post-college shape before Sarah's wedding. That's four months. I can do it!

And as I begin this process, I am realizing how strong I must be in saying 'no' to food I truly don't need. Especially because I love food. I love buying new and fun foods. I love making food. Cooking. Baking. And I love eating. Ha! I know it's probably not the most lady-like thing to say, but it's true. Yet, I am realizing how little I really do need to function well on a daily basis. And it feels strangely good to say, "no" to myself and to food that I truly don't need and that won't help me in the long run. I am reminded once again of Paul's words in Corinthians:
But I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.   - 1 Corinthians 9:27 (NASB)
The Message says it slightly differently, but I like the wording:
I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.
It reminds me that my body is subject to my spirit and not the other way around. So, here's to some self-denial, hopefully yielding the fruit of self-control in my life. 

You'll see the fruit of my endeavors come September 29th. Thanks for the motivation your wedding provides, Sarah! :)

No comments: