Friday, July 15, 2011

The garden: My respite

With all that this season of life has brought our way while Jody has been in seminary, I have found a refuge our little backyard garden. I started thinking about trying my hand at gardening back in February. It took a while to get all the pieces together, but when we finally decided to do it, I regretted not starting sooner.

Now the summer is well on its' way, and despite incredible weather conditions, the garden has prevailed! We have had torrential rain, countless hailstorms, thunder and lightning like I have rarely seen before, and now humidity that has expanded our wood front door so that it doesn't shut right now. It has been unbelievable. Nonetheless, the garden is flourishing, and we are holding out for the fruits of our labor.

I have had several requests from people for an update on the garden, and so I wanted to include several pictures of where the garden is now (or was, as of Tuesday).

Garden Bed #1: Lettuce, carrots, garlic, broccoli, zucchini (and just planted cucumbers to replace the spinach)

Garden Bed #1: The broccoli

Garden Bed #1: The beautiful (and delicious!) leaf lettuce

Garden Bed #1: The zucchini, which has begun to flower and is now threatening to take over the spot reserved for the cucumbers!! I am seeing now why people say one zucchini plant is more than enough!

Garden Bed #2: Spaghetti squash, eggplant, jalapenos, and herbs. The tomatoes are in the green buckets and are not enjoying all this rain with no sun!

Garden Bed #2: Another angle

Garden Bed #2: The spaghetti squash

Garden Bed #2

STRAWBERRIES!


The wildflowers Lindsey helped me plant over Memorial Day Weekend
Rest assured. There will be pictures when I start reaping a harvest!

No comments: