'strength in weakness'
This past week has brought some changes, and I find myself once again depending so very much on the grace and strength of the Lord.
I am reading E.M. Bounds messages on Prayer, and they have absolutely floored me. Last week I was reading his message on Prayer and Humility, as well as in Galatians (Chapter 5) on Christian liberty. My heart was so convicted by the sobering reminder that I must be so drained of self-focus and attention, as well as reminded that Christ has indeed set me free, but the freedom I have in Him is solely for the purpose of being filling with His life and love to serve others, and not a license to sin. It has been a lot to meditate on recently.
I am also re-memorizing 1 Corinthians 13, and Brittany and Stefanie and I quiz each other every few days. It's good to have the accountability, and I am reading these verses with new eyes. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or clanging cymbal... love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up... it bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" (vs. 1, 4,7).
When I first started re-reading the chapter, I was overwhelmed with shame and conviction about the areas of my life where that love has not existed. Now I am trying to submit them to Him and ask Him to give me His strength so that I can love as He does.
Also, now that I have decided to remain in Korea, the euphoria of answered prayer and a decision behind me has given way to the reality of what my decision will mean for the next 10 months. As I told my mom earlier, the danger of living and working in Korea is that I have such liberty to become selfish... totally self-focused, self-centered, and self-serving, if I am not careful to submit myself first to the Lord, and then to my church and Christian friends.
I am praying for the Lord to enable me to remain humble and focused on Him and on those around me. May I love Him with all that I am, and then to love others.
School last week was very busy, as well. Our school lost two teachers - both are going abroad - and so we were in the process of hiring three new teachers. I have had one girl in particular, who is preparing to take over my little ones for the summer. Her name is Sophia, and she is Korean, but she has been living and studying in England for the past 6 years. She is 20 years old and a freshman in college. I feel like a mother over my seven children - no one is good enough to teach my little ones. And I know it may only be for ~ 2 months, especially for when I am in the States visiting for two weeks next month, but it's still hard. She has been observing my class and peppering me with questions. It has been exhausting.
Oh dear... the time has flown and I need to go. Please be in prayer for me as changes continue.
Love to you all. Be in touch.
Ruth
No comments:
Post a Comment