Sunday, December 18, 2005


Christmas decorations ensue.....
As I mentioned before, we did a little decorating at school. I have yet to make that second run to Lotte Mart (I think that'll have to be tomorrow), but here's our little tree in the lobby. Isn't it cute? It looks much better in real life, I think.... :) Mrs. Kim is forever expressing concern that the lights are going to cause a fire. I have had to reassure her on several occasions that with careful attention such a disaster is not likely to occur.
I have made a friend, I believe, with a "halmoni" (grandmother) who lives in the apartment across from mine. She can speak about as much English as I can Korean, but it began with two pears she gave me. I returned the gift with several tangerines. And just yesterday my doorbell rang. She was bringing me kimchi. Oh joy! What am I to do with it? I don't know yet. So while I decide how I'm going to dispose of it, it is stinking up my refrigerator. :) I love my grandmother friend. She's so precious!

I have spoken often of Dave and Winnie Pitman, the missionaries with SIM. Here is a picture of them at their apartment. They have become such a blessing to my life. The past two Saturdays we have done very American movie nights, complete with pizza, pepsi, doritos, pringles, hershey's chocolate, and popcorn. After a full week of Korean food, it's a fun change of routine. Last night we watched an old black and white chick flick Christmas in Connecticut. I've never seen it before, but it was hilarious. Then we watched White Christmas. Oh soo good. I was reminded of my college girls' annual Christmas party. Dear Melissa Seybold was always a proponent of the musical. :)

Dave must be telling a most ridiculous story. He is always cracking jokes. :)


The ladies' mouths are full of chocolate. Hence the less than flattering picture. But we do have a grand time!


Dave... teasingly recommending golf as a delightful sport to watch. And one we should consider more often.... Alas, I'm hopeless.


I am getting ready for Christmas..... prepare Ye the way of the Lord.
Here are shots of Migeum at night. It really is a beautiful place at night - with all the lights and the Christmas decorations.

I am thankful for Bundang. It is not overwhelming like Seoul is, but a comfortable level of busyness. Without a doubt, Saturday traffic shows it to be a well-travelled place, but it lacks the oppressive traffic and busyness that characterizes Gangnam station in the center of Seoul. And that my church should be only a busride away is truly a gift.


I have forgotten to mention- Laura has actually decided to return to Korea after a two week trip back home. She met with her recruiter some weeks ago, and they negotiated several much-needed changes with her school. Apparently her school is altering its' schedule, so she will be released from her contract in June instead of November, as originally intended. I am thankful that she is coming back; she has become a wonderful friend to me in my time here.

Upon walking home from the bus last night, I noticed the beautiful church nearby all lit up for Christmas. As you can barely see, the church is topped by a red cross. If I have not mentioned it before, all the churches here in Korea are marked by red crosses, so at night you can see them all across the town. It's really quite an amazing sight, and if I had enough height, I should love to capture a shot of it for you to see.
Overall update: Doing well. Missing you all muchly, though. Playing the CD my brother Daniel made for me and Mom sent. Smelling the heavenly candle my sister Rebekah sent me. Posted pictures of her, Bryan, and two of Micah and Nathan on my cubbard door so I can see them all the time. Praying for what I should do (something special) with my kids for Christmas.
My thoughts are all in a tizzy right now... much on my mind. Don't know why.... pray that the Lord will be close to me. Always needing more of His presence.
Love to all of you. and as we are in the midst of the holidays, may the Light of the world Jesus Christ dispel all the authority of darkness in your life. He is Light and Life!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Kimchi is the devil - I swear.

I work with a malaysian girl and when she has been at that stuff she can breathe you unconcious at 2 feet.