Friday, December 05, 2014

More Adventures in Wisconsin

We've been in Wisconsin for six months now. It's hard to believe how the time has flown. In that time, we have done so many fun things. It's fun to look through the pictures and revisit the experience as I blog about each one... Forgive me for the delay, as I know these pictures are from a few months ago. But better late than never, right? And I didn't want to miss out on sharing with you all the grand adventures we've had of a new state to explore and experience!

We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary at a Korean restaurant in downtown Milwaukee, followed by a short walk to see Lake Michigan. I still get the hankering for Korean food every now and then, so we hunted online to find out that there were two - yes, two - Korean restaurants in all of Milwaukee. Tragic, I know. But we're grateful nonetheless! It was a fun way to remember our time in Korea. It's crazy to believe that almost eight years ago we met at our dear friends' Stefanie and Brittany's apartment in the "small" suburban town of Suji, South Korea. Going to a Korean restaurant reminds me of our brief dating and courtship. Bam - ten months from meeting to saying, "I do!" 





After lunch we walked from the restaurant down to the yacht club and pier along the lake. In many ways Lake Michigan does seem like the ocean. The broad expanse. The endlessness of it. There are even seagulls! And yet, the waves are absent. And the smell of salt in the air. It was beautiful, and I loved seeing and experiencing a Great Lake for the first time. 





Happy Anniversary, my love! Words cannot express how grateful I am to be married to you! 

We also visited a local dairy farm just north of Oconomowoc!! A family in our church has a dairy farm that has been in their family for many generations. They invited us over for a tour of the farm, as well as a bonfire. It was so much fun! I've never been to a dairy farm, so this was a grand experience to see this family's daily life. All I know about dairy farmers is that my grandfather was the youngest (7th child) of a dairy farmer in Menomenee, right here in Wisconsin, back in the early 1900s. Yup - I have returned to the land of my peoples, coming to Wisconsin!!! :) The military took my grandfather to Virginia before WWII, and he met my grandmother at a military ball before he left to serve in Europe. He never moved back to WI. So that's my connection with dairy farms. :)

Where the cows are milked


I like the cow that's totally just chilling

Where all the milk goes just after the cows are milked 


Jody befriending a calf




I cannot imagine the daily life of a dairy farmer. Milking the cows twice a day. EVERY DAY. But it was so wonderful to get just a small glimpse of their world, and to hear the contentment and love for their farm in their voices. And to see the views from their home. These native Wisconsinites are pretty awesome people. I'm glad I get to know them. 

1 comment:

beautiful feet said...

Yah for Korean food! Yah for meeting at our apartment! Yah for anniversaries! Yah for Lake Michigan (it does seem like an ocean, doesn't it?)! We've gotta plan a day/weekend to meet up, my friend. Love you guys!