Thursday, December 12, 2013

Proud Grandparents

Every morning I get up, throw on my coat and my gloves and head out to the chicken coop to check on the girls (in chicken speak, this means 'hens'). The past few weeks have been especially challenging due to the low temperatures. The chickens have had absolutely no desire to leave the coop, so we have to be careful and make sure they've got food, clean (and thawed!) water, and that the coop is warm enough so they don't freeze to death.

So this past Sunday was no different... except I was in my bathrobe and PJs. I was in a bit of a hurry to get it all done before Mosaic's combined service at Englewood High, and I was running a little behind.

Food? Check.
Clean water? Nope. Okay, gotta change that out.

HOLD UP.

WHAT IS THAT I SEE OVER THERE?

Snow goes flying. Chicken poo is everywhere. Chickens are squawking... I'm all up in their business in that coop. 

I see eggs. 

Our chickens are laying eggs!

I run back in the house, because - of course! - I have to document this momentous occasion. I'm grabbing my cell phone (have to send a picture to Jody!), my camera for better quality pictures for the blog (of course), and not to forget a stinkin' container to hold all the eggs. Who cares about clean water when there are eggs?!!

We are so proud. Proud grandparents, as Jody likes to say. 





Six whole eggs. A treasure trove. An early Christmas! (Because it really is like Christmas to find presents every morning when I go out to check on them.)


And here's the only stellar container I could find to hold the initial bunch of eggs. I know. A Christmas cookie container was all I could find. (Hobby Lobby, here we come!)

Thursday Update: Including these six eggs you see, since Sunday we have gathered a total of 18 eggs. Yay!!

No comments: