Sunday, November 03, 2013

Jody in Nepal


Jody's off to Nepal!

I just got back from the airport, having dropped Jody off with a team of 11 from Southeast. He is heading on a mission trip from Nov 3-16 to serve alongside an organization called MountainChild at work in the remote areas of the Himalayas. We learned about the organization from our time spent in Korea, as our pastor who started LifeChurch in Korea, Jack Reid, also founded the organization.

Since Jody and I returned to the States and I have been working at Southeast, I was able to introduce MountainChild to the SE Missions/Outreach department. It has been a divine connection, and I'm thrilled to see how God has strengthened the growing partnership. I am sure it has everything to do with a mutual love of the mountains and the deep desire to see God's Kingdom expand to the most unreached of peoples.

In fact, these villages MountainChild is trying to reach really do bring a whole new meaning to the word 'remote.' For some of these peoples, it takes a long bus ride from Kathmandu to a stopping point, and then several days trekking just to get to some of these villages. Incredible. I love MountainChild, and I'm so glad my husband is up for the adventure!


We started marketing the trip at Southeast back in May/June, and I knew from the very beginning that Jody had to go. I mean, it includes all his favorites:

Jesus.
Our friends from Korea who are living in Nepal.
Friends here in Colorado.
Hiking/Trekking.
Mountains.
Did I mention mountains?

Mid-July he made the commitment, and we began the process of preparing him for this trip. God was incredibly faithful, and Jody was able to raise all the support he needed, including covering the cost of the equipment he needed for trekking (though he had a lot of what he needed already from our various adventures over the years). We are humbled and grateful for everyone who has stepped up to support us. We thank you all from the bottom of our hearts!

I am very excited about this trip from a professional and a personal standpoint (in ministry it's really hard to separate the professional from the personal, because isn't it ALL personal?!), as the team will be doing several things. First, they will be constructing a bio-sand water filtration system at MountainChild's newly acquired School of Frontier Missions right outside Kathmandu (seen in picture below).


Then, the team will be trekking into the remote village of Gatlang to assess the needs of a clean water facility there, as well as do an assessment of any other long-term needs there. Thirdly, there will be a soccer camp for the children in the slums of Kathmandu, using awesomely indestructible soccer balls that we purchased from One World Futbol Project.

As always, our heart and MountainChild's mission is that through such tasks as providing clean water, hygiene and sanitation training, and ultimately through all of MountainChild's 5 CORE ISSUES (Health, Education, Trafficking, Child Labor, and the Environment), that the Gospel might be preached and the name of Jesus would be heard and proclaimed to people that have never heard of Him!


Here's a few glimpses of the awesomely precious faces they'll see when they trek in to Gatlang.





Please be praying for Jody and for the team. And for me and the dogs and chickens... that we don't get too lonely around here. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Im so excited for Jody, and will definitely be praying for you guys!!