Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ministry Over the Long Haul


I had no clue that I would be in ministry. Or that my husband would be in ministry.

It's not a bad thing. It just wasn't on my radar.

Ever.

My dad and grandfathers are/were not pastors. In fact, on a personal level I have known nothing of what "pastoral ministry" should look like. No up-close-and-personal pastoral role models to show me if I wanted to be in pastoral ministry or not. Just never considered it.

But when Jody came to Denver Seminary and began his studies, I got a job at a church on the other side of town. And while I'd grown up in a church of about 2,000, I never worked there. I had no idea what it was like on the 'inside.'

Fast-forward four years. I've been at Southeast - in the Missions Department - for four, long, wonderful, stretching, great, challenging years, and this is what I've learned.

Pastoral ministry is a marathon. 

You can truly tell you're made for it, when you can stick it out and still love the capital "C" Church. You can still believe that it's the Bride of Christ, and flawed and broken as it is, it is nonetheless worth fighting for. Your heart can affirm Jesus' words to Peter that He would build His church and the gates of hell would not overpower it (Matthew 16:18).

And - probably the biggest things I've learned - is that you're much more likely to stick it out if you have good boundaries. Thankfully, I have very little trouble saying, "No" without feeling guilty. It's a beautiful thing. And, I know it's because I cannot give when I am running on empty. Then I just give from tired, old, burned out me. And no one wants or needs that. People need Jesus. Desperately. And I can only point to Him well when I am full of Him. So I am learning that boundaries are what makes the marathon doable.

Last month our pastor's wife organized a dinner for all the staff. It was so wonderful. I confess I was a bit overwhelmed by how many people (spouses included) are on staff at Southeast. But it was a great time to get together and celebrate the work that God has been up to at the church. I am truly blessed.

The theme for the evening was gardening. And I just love it. We got some seeds, a shovel, some gloves, and these beautiful reminders. I just had to take some pictures, because I didn't want to forget them. Thank you for all your hard work, Donna!




I am also thankful that my husband and I are a team as we support one another in ministry. Because it really is a marathon.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I was a bit shocked to read that you didn't expect to be "in ministry," I figured that's what you were always headed for, but maybe by "ministry" you meant being on church staff? It sounds like you are working with a great group of people, and that there's a nice balance of being challenged, yet encouraged at the same time.