Saturday, May 25, 2013

Winter in April

I can hardly believe that it's late May already, and Spring seems to have finally arrived here in Colorado. Nonetheless, we did not escape Winter so easily. She came in April this year! We had beautiful sunshine and we had wet and heavy snow. It was wonderful and beautiful. 

One day we even got a snow day. It was fantastic. A perfect day to rest do some cooking! Alas, there was no rest in us... We had too many things we wanted to do.

Jody made a stew. I made chocolate chip cookies. And I even had enough creative juices flowing to make my own gluten-free concoction since I couldn't eat the cookies. I'm immensely proud of myself, since I feel I lack creativity most of the time. :)



The chocolate chip cookies are a mainstay, even though I can't eat them. I love being able to share the love, though. :)

Our snow day creations


So these beautiful treats are completely gluten free and consist of the following ingredients:
  • oat flour
  • bananas
  • egg whites
  • shredded coconut
  • cocoa powder
  • coconut oil
  • coconut sugar
  • baking soda
  • salt
  • chocolate chips
And they were delicious! Their consistency is that of a muffin, I would say. They are moist, but not gooey. And they keep for a lot longer than a lot of GF items. I made this recipe first on the fly, and then tried to re-create it (doubling it), and it turned out just as good the second time. Yay!

Our snow day adventures continued! After all the baking, it was time for some stew dinner, some Dr. Zhivago (Jody had never seen the movie before), and then some snow ice cream. :) Haha. So, Jody went outside and got some fresh snow.




Then it was time for some sugar, vanilla and milk. Honestly, this was my first time having snow ice cream, and it was delicious and tasted far more similar to store-bought ice cream than I could have ever imagined. Win for Jody's mom (Go Pam!)... I am more impressed with her creativity with her boys with each passing year. :)

No comments: