Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Glimpses of God's Bigger Plan

Do you ever wonder what God is up to, and if He really knows what He's doing? I know I have. I like to say that sometimes I've got some really great ideas about how things should turn out, and that maybe He should listen to me. (Ha!) But usually those plans end up biting me in the butt, and I am reminded that God is on the throne; He knows what He's doing, and He really does have a 'Big Plan' that He's working out. Sometimes He even allows me glimpses of what He's doing behind the scenes. And - in the meantime - I must exercise faith and wait upon Him and His timing.


2007
When Jody and I returned to Korea in 2007 as a newly married couple, we settled in an international church called LifeChurch at the time that met at in international school in Suwon. The founding pastor of the church, Jack Reid had also founded an organization called MountainChild that serves the unreached people groups of the Himalayas. At the time, Korea served as his home base, and several teams from LifeChurch went on trips to Nepal to work alongside the organization. The church - now called The Nations International Church is still alive and kicking. Several of our friends still go there (We miss y'all!) 

But I digress... Back to MountainChild. So, a couple whose lives often intersected with ours in Korea - John and Soyon Thompson - ended up moving to Kathmandu and serving with MountainChild full time. The backstory on our friendship with them is here.


Fast forward a few years....
2010
I had been working at Southeast Christian Church, in Parker, CO for a few years, and I begin to see that the driving force of Missions here at Southeast seemed to align quite well with the work of MountainChild. I asked John and Soyon to send me some promotional materials for the work of MountainChild. They did, and those materials sat on my desk for probably a year, as I waited for the right time to present them to my boss Steve as a potential partnering organization for Southeast.

2011
Last fall, I finally felt peaceful about handing those promotional materials to Steve, praying that if it was right, God would make it clear if MountainChild would be a good fit.

2012
Jack and his family were in Denver for a short spell, and I was able to connect him with Steve and two young men in the church who are interested in the work of MountainChild.We had lunch and were able to hear from Jack all about the work that MC does in the Himalayas.

This November we're sending a small team to check it out. Yay!

I am excited and humbled that God would use me to intersect lives and ministries in His Kingdom. We'll see if it goes anywhere... but in the meantime, I am excited and slightly jealous. So wish I could go, too! :)

No comments: