Tuesday, February 02, 2010

.training.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27

This was the theme for the past month's sermon series at church. As everyone sets New Year's resolutions and goals for the next year, our pastor TJ encouraged our church to be focused, to set eternal goals and to run the race of life with our eyes fixed on Jesus. It is also interesting, because this passage can now also be applied to the physical conditioning in my life. At my job, there is a financial incentive at the end of the calendar year if an individual tracks his/her exercise throughout the year.

The details are basically: varying amounts of exercise qualify for 1 point, 3 points or 5 points. For example, walking for 15+ minutes a day counts for 1 point. Running on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day counts for 3 points and running a half-marathon counts for 5 points. Any kind of exercise could count towards it, though - helping a friend move, riding horses, hiking, or swimming laps; really, the goal is just to get the staff members to get their heart rates up and their bodies in shape. There's a little disparity between the points, I feel, but I am willing to do the exercise to qualify for the 1 or 3 points, so I figure I won't quibble over details. And besides, I pretty much exercise on a semi-regular basis anyway. So this incentive is enough for me to just track my efforts and to work out more consistently, which has been my desire for a long time. In short, I must exercise enough to earn more at least 30 points each month for 12 months in order to earn the bonus at the end of the year.

As of today (February 2nd), I have turned in my Exercise tracker for the month of January, and yesterday I ran... so 3 points for me! Woohoo! Jody is teasing me that I sound like I'm in Weight Watchers, but I don't care. It feels good to hold myself accountable, and I am enjoying the challenge to stay in shape.

As I run, bike, use the elliptical, lift weights or just take a walk with Eu-mi, I am reminded that exercise takes focus, discipline, perseverance and lots of prayer. I am also reminded that things in the physical realm always mirror what is happening in the spiritual. The same principles apply in my walk with the Lord. May He give me (and you!) the strength, self-discipline and grace to run the race that is set before me.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race that is marked out for us.
Hebrews 12:1

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Yay, I like these frequent updates! It's cool that your job encourages physical activity. I have NO incentive, LOL. Well, I'm on foot all day anyway.