Monday, April 10, 2006

A stroll down German memory lane...

Heute habe ich mich an Max und Moritz erinnert. Viele Lachen von deutsche Klasse im 12. Klasse in Hochschule. :)


Max und Moritz
Eine Bubengeschichte in Sieben Streichen (von Wilhelm Busch)
Erster Streich
Mancher gibt sich viele Müh'Mit dem lieben Federvieh; Einesteils der Eier wegen,Welche diese Vögel legen, Zweitens: weil man dann und wann Einen Braten essen kann; Drittens aber nimmt man auch Ihre Federn zum Gebrauch In die Kissen und die Pfühle, Denn man liegt nicht gerne kühle. -
Seht, da ist die Witwe Bolte, Die das auch nicht gerne wollte....
den Rest findest du hier: http://www.fln.vcu.edu/mm/mm1.html
At church on Sunday there were two women from Germany- one a girl named Thea, who is just a few years older than me, and the other a Korean woman who has spent half her life in Germany and is delightfully more European than Korean. I invited them to join Emily, Daniel and me over my favorite Korean meal, which sounds like boo-duh-ji-gae and is translated as "army food." Yum yum! So good! We had a great time together, laughing over language mistakes in English, Korean, and German. Ich wundere mich, was die nächste Monate bringen.

This past weekend was, however, a rather rough time for me. At times I find my patience with Korean culture wearing thin, and then I am frustrated with myself for my bumbling attempts to adapt and immerse myself here. When I look back on the past months, I see that I have done the best I can. iI is nonetheless dissatisfying when somehow those meager attempts seem not to be enough... at least in my own heart.

Prayers for the next 4.5 months would be appreciated. T_T

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah it is from the notebook, good job:) I am so glad you a loving my P&P quotes. I think we will share a bond of the amazingness on this story until we die. Then we'll be in heaven together and possibily not care at all anymore...who knows. I love you!! You are such a treasure to me:) I commented before reading this entry but I hope you are doing well. I am so glad we got to talk the other day, it was so great.

Anonymous said...

It takes a long time to really be immersed and completely comfortable in another culture. Don't be too hard on yourself. I will definitely be praying for this though.

Anonymous said...

OK ruth, I need your help...I can't figure out the order of these quotes. I think they are all from the newer P&P or maybe some are from the old and some the new...I can't tell. Here they are:

Mr. Darcy: So this is your opinion of me? Thank you for explaining to fully. Perhaps these offences might have be overlooked had not your pride-
Elizabeth Bennet: My pride?
Mr. Darcy: -been hurt by my honesty in admitting scruples about our relationship. Did you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your circumstances?
Elizabeth Bennet: And those are the words of a gentleman. From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.
[they look at each other for a long time as though about to kiss]
Mr. Darcy: Forgive me.


Next quote:

Mr. Darcy: I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honor of accepting my hand.
Elizabeth Bennet: Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. Believe me, it was unconsciously done.
Mr. Darcy: Is this your reply?
Elizabeth Bennet: Yes, sir.
Mr. Darcy: Are you...are you laughing at me?
Elizabeth Bennet: No.
Mr. Darcy: Are you *rejecting* me?
Elizabeth Bennet: I'm sure that the feelings which, as you've told me have hindered your regard, will help you in overcoming it.
Mr. Darcy: Might I ask why, with so little endeavor at civility, I am thus repulsed?
Elizabeth Bennet: And I might as well enquire why, with so evident a design of insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your better judgment!


last quote:

Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony.
Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand.
Mr. Darcy: I love you.



Are these all from the same conversation or from different conversations. I know in the 2005 version they only talk about it twice, once in the rain and then once when she has just spoken to lady catherine. In the A&E version don't they have three conversations? Or is it only two? I remember one at Rosings in that bedroom when she is ill and reading a letter maybe? and then one after her chat with lady catherine. I just don't know!!

Jody and Ruth Been said...

Ok... the order of them goes:

Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony.
Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand.

Mr. Darcy: I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honor of accepting my hand.
Elizabeth Bennet: Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. Believe me, it was unconsciously done.
Mr. Darcy: Is this your reply?
Elizabeth Bennet: Yes, sir.
Mr. Darcy: Are you...are you laughing at me?
Elizabeth Bennet: No.
Mr. Darcy: Are you *rejecting* me?
Elizabeth Bennet: I'm sure that the feelings which, as you've told me have hindered your regard, will help you in overcoming it.
Mr. Darcy: Might I ask why, with so little endeavor at civility, I am thus repulsed?
Elizabeth Bennet: And I might as well enquire why, with so evident a design of insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your better judgment!

Mr. Darcy: So this is your opinion of me? Thank you for explaining to fully. Perhaps these offences might have be overlooked had not your pride-
Elizabeth Bennet: My pride?
Mr. Darcy: -been hurt by my honesty in admitting scruples about our relationship. Did you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your circumstances?
Elizabeth Bennet: And those are the words of a gentleman. From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.
[they look at each other for a long time as though about to kiss]
Mr. Darcy: Forgive me.

this is from the 2005 version, in which darcy visits lizzy once at mr. collins parsonage, and then he proposes to her in the rain.

in the A&E version, mr. darcy also visits her in the parsonage once, and in the second visit he proposes to her (when she's reading letters and stays behind from visiting lady catherine b/c of a headache).
... then again, that's probably more than you wanted to know. LOL. hope it solves your dilemma!

Anonymous said...

Ruth, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I wanted all those lovely details. Thank you so much for helpin me out with my quandry (sp?). I kind of suspected that was the order. It is all one conversation right? I am pretty sure it is. Thanks for taking time to do that. I love you:)