Sunday, January 12, 2014

Nepal, here I come!


Hey everybody!

I am so excited to write and tell you about an awesome opportunity that has presented itself. In just a few months - from March 22 - April 5, 2014 - I will be joining a team of people from Southeast Christian Church in Parker, CO that is heading to Nepal with the express purpose of partnering with an organization called MountainChild at work in the remote villages of the Himalayas. 

Yes, this is the same organization that Jody went with in November... and he came back and told me I had to go, too! So here I am, writing to tell you about this awesome organization and the opportunity I have to join them! :)


MountainChild’s vision is bold, and God is blessing their efforts to bring the Gospel to people who have truly never heard the name of Jesus. Their strategy is to focus on 5 CORE ISSUES: health, education, trafficking, child labor and the environment. The need is great, and the statistics are staggering. Concerning the trafficking issue alone, every year 16,000 boys and girls are taken from the remote villages of Nepal and sold into the slave and sex trade. Most never return to their villages. In one village MountainChild is at work, there are no more girls of marriageable age. I cannot even imagine the factors that contribute to making such a situation a reality.

On this upcoming trip, the program will be two-fold. Part of the team will remain behind in Kathmandu to focus on learning how Southeast can best come alongside MountainChild and aid them in their long-term anti-trafficking goals. The other part of the team will be trekking in the remote areas, doing community assessment for future development projects (clean water projects, sanitation, etc.). I will be going with the trekking group, so in preparation I’m hitting the stair master and will be hiking, hiking, hiking!

I am writing because I need your help! First of all, I truly do need your prayers. While I am helping to organize the trip and build the team stateside I need to prepare myself to take part in the adventure, as well. It will be a challenging trip and will be physically, mentally and spiritually taxing. For a short-term trip, this will be extreme in every sense of the word. I especially covet your prayers for me to be physically able to handle the trekking component. I love mountains, and I love backpacking, but I want to be prepared so I’m not sent back to Kathamandu! (Oh the shame!) Please also pray for the Holy Spirit to open up doors for us to share Jesus, and for wisdom in assessing the needs for future community development projects. 

And dear ones, I also need your financial support. My portion of the trip costs is $3,425, which will cover all airfare and ground expenses, and I am trusting God for this need. I am relying on His promises and faithfulness. If you wish to help, you can contribute online at my secure fundraising webpage:  http://store.sechristian.org/Ruth-Been-P1194C38.aspx. The donation deadline is March 8, 2014.  I look forward to celebrating God’s provision in this regard, and I am truly grateful for your support!

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this trip or about MountainChild. Thank you again for partnering with me as we carry hope!

Much love,
Ruth

No comments: