Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Celebrating the gift of marriage

Last Sunday, Jody and I celebrated six years of marriage. I can't believe it. On the one hand, it has been the greatest gift and joy ever. On the other hand, it has been a tough six years.

I am so grateful for my husband. Jody is a gift from God, and I truly do love him more and more every day. He serves, sacrifices sleep and comfort and works so hard. But most importantly, he strives to obey the Lord in everything.

I could not ask for more.


Our wedding date six years ago was Saturday, August 25, 2007. And unlike anyone we had heard of at the time, we decided that we would wash each other's feet during the wedding ceremony. We felt - and still do feel - that marriage is best described with one word: servant, and Jesus best explained that Kingdom principle to His disciples in John, chapter 13, by washing their feet.

And while we had mentally prepared ourselves for the actual process, we didn't realize how cumbersome it would be during the wedding ceremony. Untying shoe laces. Taking off socks. Wetting and then drying the feet. Then trying to put the socks back on after you wet and dried the feet. Then we had to switch places! It took a lot more time than we thought. I felt so clumsy in my huge dress.

And everybody was watching.

Six years later, I realize now more than I did then that the footwashing during our ceremony truly is a perfect metaphor for marriage. :)

Life with Jody is wonderful, and I am truly blessed. But marriage can be hard and messy... and with social media and life in ministry, I am realizing how people are watching Jody and me to see how we will handle the stresses of life.
.............     .............     .............     .............     .............     .............     .............     .............    
Jody decided we should celebrate our anniversary with a wonderful surprise trip to Snooze, a breakfast joint in downtown Denver. It was so much fun to get out of our little bubble and to make the trip downtown. We never go into the city, it feels like, so I really enjoyed the novelty of a new area and, of course, the good food!



Then, Jody surprised me even more with such a great gift - the first three seasons of my current favorite show, Downton Abbey. The package was waiting at our door when we got back from Denver. I was so excited that I squealed and squealed and jumped up and down with excitement. It truly was not on my radar; I had no idea what he had up his sleeve.


Jody's response to my response was: "You didn't get this excited when I proposed." Hahaha!

And now, as I look to Year #7 of marriage to Jody, I am reminded of my calling as his wife - to submit to him, as I submit to the Lord and to pray for him.


I praise God for you, Jody Been!

1 comment:

beautiful feet said...

Awe!!!! I can't believe that it has been 6 years! Congratulations guys! I love you both very much!