A week after celebrating Jody's graduation from Denver Seminary, Jody and I packed up a suitcase, a duffel bag and my carry-on (Eu-mi!) for a two week trip to Virginia to spend time with my family. The end of 2011 marked over three (3!) years since Jody had been to Virginia and seen the majority of my side of the family. I have been to Virginia every year at some point (usually at Thanksgiving), but I always went alone because of Jody's school and workload. I did not realize until this trip how divided I have felt without him. He really has become my family.
The flights (a flight to Atlanta, and then one to Richmond) were uneventful, and Eu-mi was fantastic. She whimpered a little when we first arrived at the Denver airport, and she was stuffed inside her crate. Poor thing. So many smells and sounds. But she was a rockstar, and all three of us arrived in Richmond, safe and sound. Thank you, Sherpa Pet Carrier. And thank you to everyone who prayed for her!
During the course of our visit, we saw my whole family. My parents. My siblings. Their spouses. Their significant others. Nieces and nephews. Pets. It was a madhouse! And yet, there were times of quiet, as well. We talked late into the night and got up late. We went on errands together. We ate dinner and sat around the table. Then we'd go into the 'New Room' (that is actually 10 years old, but will always be called the New Room) and continue the conversation near the fire. It was wonderful, and I pray it will not be so long until we can return.
Here are just a few glimpses from our time at home...
 |
| With my sister-in-law and friend, Courtney! |
 |
| Sarah and her boyfriend, Justin |
 |
| Sisters! |
 |
| My football studmuffin brother, Daniel |
 |
| The Holts' new puppy, Charlotte! |
 |
| The husbands, boyfriends of Clementson girls + Chris |
 |
| With the kiddos. Love them! |
 |
| Jane finally started to warm up to Uncle Jody! |
 |
| With Charlotte, the new puppy in the Holt household! |
 |
| Clementson girls + Rebekah |
 |
| Quality Christmas time with Chloe! |
 |
| Anna and her boyfriend, Nate |
What I learned from spending two weeks back in my childhood home...
- My family is big.
- My family is loud.
- How did I forget?! You must be the first to take a shower in the morning, because if you are #6 or #7 in line, there certainly isn't any hot water left.
- Jody brings a lot of laughter to my family... and he blends right in and makes himself at home. So thankful for a husband that can handle the in-laws with grace, gentleness and humor!
- Everybody is growing up. Each individual is not the same person he/she was when we were little. Shocker, I know.
- Living in Virginia and being a Broncos fan means you have to use First Row to get your Broncos games when they're not aired on TV.
- I'm an introvert. I love my family... but I also love my alone time.
- Virginia humidity ♥ my skin. The wrinkles disappear with each passing day!
- Eu-mi needs her blanket and a soft, warm place to sleep wherever she goes.
- There's a reason I do that... and that... and that. Yep, all that 'family of origin' stuff makes sense in a whole new way!
1 comment:
Ha! I know about the hot water. My family needs to take an example from yours and have a reunion!
Post a Comment