Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A new addition!



Yesterday Jody and I made a big decision. We drove down to Pueblo and got a puppy! She is a wirehaired miniature dachshund that we've been debating on for several months. She's 8 weeks old and so adorable. We don't have a name for her yet... so we're welcoming recommendations. We're hoping to see more of her personality before we settle on one.

24 hours into it, a few observations:
  • Puppies aren't trained. Why don't they understand what I mean when I say, "Sit!"?! :)
  • Puppies howl, whine and whimper when unsure and sad. Potentially for hours. :-/
  • Puppies disrupt routine.
  • Puppies smell good. A smell like no other.
  • Puppies are cute. Little. Fun.
  • Puppies' 'transmissions' are so low to the ground it's hard to see when they're pottying. :)
Apart from the obvious adjustment of transitioning from one dog to two, this will be a new adventure since we have never had to deal with longer hair. This pup's coat is expected to grow a significant amount within this first year, and the breeder has even prepared us to expect that her coat will lighten significantly to a wheaton color. As in, almost as blonde as a golden retriever! We'll see, though. 

Pray for us. It's been three years since we did all this. Potty training. Crate training. Commands. Grooming. All of it! We'll keep you posted. 


7 comments:

korynickell said...

Good luck man! I am 3 days into dog #2 also. They will for sure test you patience and for sure effect your sleep schedule! In the end it is all worth it!

Unknown said...

Awesome!!!!

jcrkelly said...

AAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!! I'm so jealous but mainly happy for you two! I love all 4 of you!

beautiful feet said...

yah! so glad that you guys got her! she's ADORABLE! i like the name bella :)

fabdad said...

Adorable. What's her name?

Scott Haynes said...

Katie and I are jealous! She's so cute and small, surely the administration wouldn't care if we got us one...we could totally raise a puppy and an infant simultaneously, right? :)

Stephanie Puffenbarger said...

she is adorable! looking forward to hearing what name you choose.. are you looking for a Korean name again or just something creative?