Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Newest Member of the Been household...

Meet Eu-mi (or Yoo-mi, as Jody likes it)!

Our puppy is a girl dappled mini dachshund. We decided on a Korean name and found the sound (Yoo-mi) to be fun and easy to say. Eu-mi comes from a litter of 8 pups out in Elizabeth, CO. We picked her for her bold and feisty personality, but also for her love of snuggling. She has proven to be a joy and quite a big job at the same time, and I'm thrilled to have her in our home! She loves to wrestle with her toy Molly the Moose, to play fetch, and to sit on our laps on the couch and sle
ep for hours at a time. Jody and I are both pretty thrilled that she's going potty outside about 85% of the time, and she's slowly adjusting to sleeping in her crate at night. We will all be rejoicing when we can all go to sleep happily and quietly.... but in the meantime, Jody and I are thrilled by how quickly she's learning!

So you're probably thinking.... 'What are Jody and Ruth thinking - getting a puppy!?' Well, let me tell you....

About three weeks ago Jody and I began spending more time with some friends we met through Denver Seminary... Sam and Britton, who also moved here for Sam to start working on his MDiv. One evening we went over to their apartment and met their beautiful and hilarious young dog, Rustie, who is a mini dachshund. As we played with her that night, I noticed that she didn't bark, smell badly, shed, or act needy and whiny. And she wasn't big enough to be much of a bother! For the first time in a long time I thought that just maybe I could put up with such a breed.


So Jody and I began to talk and pray about getting a puppy. The more we thought
and prayed about it, did our research on breeds and prices, and just asked Sam and Britton for advice, we decided we could do it. For the first time, we feel more settled in life. We don't plan on moving for a couple of years, so we finally feel like we can offer a good home to a pet. Also, Jody is and will continue to be very busy with school, and as a result I have a good deal of free time by myself. And while I am job-searching, my schedule is flexible, so I can easily devote the time needed to train her. In short, we felt peaceful and excited about it!

This past Saturday (yes, Valentine's Day, haha) Jody and I invited Sam and Britton along to check out the litter of puppies and to see if there was one we could bring home. In the end, we found this little one, and we're loving the time with her.

Come visit! She's so much fun to play with!




3 comments:

beautiful feet said...

great video of eu-mi! :)

Anonymous said...

love the puppy!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew and Kelly said...

Your new "baby" is awfully cute!