Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Like Christ

The past week at home has been both wonderful and challenging, to say the least. I am once again surrounded by my parents and four younger siblings on a regular basis. It has been awesome to be in their midst; however, I am beginning to see that people develop opinions as they grow up. So we have lots of opinions in our household. Also, I have been away from the family for a long time now. This morning during my time with the Lord I was thinking about how much my family has changed since I left the house for college in 2001. I realized that the perception I give to other people of my family is the one I had developed at that time. But my family has changed a lot since then and so have I, so this perception may be faulty. This week I am seeing how important it is to handle all situations with the attitude of Christ... with humility, patience, and a servant's heart.

My suitcase lies on the living room floor, clothes jumbled, shoes in a heap, and bags all around. So far my bed has been the living room sofa, Anna's top bunk, and Courtney's apartment sofa, and I am consistently waking up between 6 and 6:30 every morning. Part of it, I'm sure, is still jetlag, and the other part just might be having an active mind by all that is going on around me and not really having a place to get away to. I have grown accustomed to the silence of my apartment in Korea. There is no competition there!

On top of all that I am in the throes of wedding planning. Things are marching along all right but not without some tension and occasional confrontation. Also, I am without a car consistently, so I am having to communicate with Luke and Sarah constantly about the cars, in case I need to get something done.

It is good to be home. It is wonderful to see decisions reached and wedding plans come together. I am incredibly grateful for the support that I have here. And yet, I am reminded that as each challenge arises, it really is important how I respond to them. No matter what inconvenience, stress, or discomfort arises, I want to reflect the life and love of the Lord to those around me.


"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross."
Philippians 2, 5-8


3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so glad to hear your voice is back!!! I hope you are able to get some quiet time alone.

Lisa said...

I can not wait to come home and see you. I will kidnap you in my car and we will have a wonderful time. I love you so much.

beautiful feet said...

good thoughts. i agree with everything you said and can completely relate. this is something i'm really struggling with right now, i think.. but, i know we'll get through! :) love you!